Monday, December 21, 2015

Lolito



I grabbed this book from Barnes N Noble after winning a gift card from a luncheon I had attended. The cover was awesome, and the reviews that were plastered all over were stunning.

I like the idea of this book. I love the marketability of this book. That being said, I really did expect more from this writer. I really wanted Etgar to actually develop as a character instead of remaining stagnant the entire time. I also wanted to experience Macy, and I don't feel we were able to. She was there. She existed, but I really don't remember much about her. There were some quirky and some funny moments which were enjoyable. The teenage awkwardness was hella-apparent. Brooks wrote it well, but he didn't take it far enough. He tiptoed around the subject of the story and politely opened the door instead of opening the books spine and shoving it down our throats.

There's a lot of this story that could be cut. Mostly towards the beginning. Some chapters remain moments, but some of those moments could have been merged together.

It's not a great book. Not really an innovative book. But it's not absolutely terrible. It's decent. Has a few good moments, but overall not that impressive.

No comments:

Post a Comment