Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Wandering Poet




It simply leaves me wanting more. I’ve been following Mr. Wise’s work and performances for some time and he has impressed me many times. Excited to hear this book was finally put out I had to grab it, caught it before the color/black and white switch that happened shortly after the release. I could not have torn the package open quick enough, like a broke kid on Christmas opening his one present, I had to catch the work inside. Honestly, I’m glad I did.

ZM Wise has a way with poetry that I haven’t experienced before; his words linger on with the reader moments after the book is closed up and put to the shelf. But as a poet and an editor myself, I fear that I was left a little empty by some of the work inside the collection. Overall, I’d say it’s a solid book and worth the money. You simply have to have it if you are a poetry fan. But that does not mean every work in here is perfect.

I noticed that there was some distance in the work between the reader and the poem. I saw the words and they were good, but they didn’t make me feel anything. Some of the poetry carried a lack of experience for me, which was rather disappointing coming from the talented author. I’m a guy who loves to be immersed ( who doesn't?), I want poetry to grab me in, shake me around til I don’t know what’s going on. I got that from some of the work here, but not all. Poetry collections need to be solid and connecting. There needs to be a symmetry with the material you choose and the book as a whole. The Wandering Poet is filled with many great selections, however not all keep the symmetry in tact.

I had the same critique about the previous book, Take Me Back, Kingswood Clock. There were some great selections but the symmetry was broken by a few skeleton poems, poems where we need to meat and the gristle. These poems have great ideas behind them but the execution was not so great.

Needless to say I still love the book, and would recommend it to all of my poetry loving friends. I do expect great things from Mr. Wise in the future. If you’ve not picked up this book, I recommend grabbing a copy and experience the journey for yourself.

You can purchase Z.M.'s book at http://transcendentzeropress.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment