Sunday, February 15, 2015

Pocket Book of Words


First non-poetry related book review. Woot! I really didn’t know what to expect when going into The Little Black Book by R.K. Gold. Seeing this posted on twitter I neglected to do any real research on the author and the book and ended up purchasing a copy on Amazon. The price was very reasonable so I can’t really complain. This is a pretty quick read I will say. I was able to get through this one in just a couple hours, but I did go back and reread some moments before writing this review. I loved this collection, as short as it is, Gold leads us through a heavily engaging experience. He mixes real world troubles with supernatural elements and gives us characters we can actually feel. I’ve always been a little leary of short story collections because it can be a little difficult to grab onto a character in a short time, but that was not a problem here.

I would have liked to see some more depth in the characters relationships with the others in their world. I could tell there was a history with some of the characters, but was not entirely sure on what happened in their past. I also felt that the last two stories could have had slightly better pacing, but they did not suffer entirely. Each story had great twists and unexpected turns that it kept the audience enamoured all the way to the end. Overall this collection was really enjoyable and I’m happy to have made a sporadic purchase when grabbing this one.

I’m planning on watching out for R.K. Gold as I’m interested in seeing what he’ll be doing in the future. You can purchase your copy of The Little Black Book through Amazon as a physical print or as a kindle purchase. If you’re looking for some unique and heavy fiction, this collection is a must!

No comments:

Post a Comment