Sunday, February 15, 2015

Striped Ego



Here is another book where I totally did not know what to expect, and I rather enjoyed it, both the collection and the feeling. I didn’t get a chance to do any background research on it, I just sort of picked it up on amazon. I met the author of this collection through Twitter and saw his book on his personal site so I decided to snatch it up and have it shipped out to me. I’m pretty impulsive when I buy stuff, but this was not a bad purchase. I’m happy to have it on my shelf.

Striped Ego is a collection of poetry written by Jo Hill, and it’s one interesting ride. Hill has a to the point style to his work as the collection works out solving personal insecurities that several of us either have or will experience at some point in our lives. It’s relatable in a way, and not something to eat up in one sitting. The poet has a great sense of imagery with each piece and is sure to make each one a memorable read while adding to the theme of the book as a whole. I will say, I have noticed some popular brand names in the authors work, but it does not detach from the work. Something commendable I would say. It’s hard to blend brand names with poetry and even fiction as the name itself stands out so much that it is hard to keep focus on the rest of the work. That’s definitely not a problem here, the poems as a whole blended rather well.

Poetry lovers everywhere will enjoy and relate this collection. It’s one I highly recommend. You can purchase Hill’s book at Amazon and follow him on Twitter!

No comments:

Post a Comment